Last night I was tidying up around the living room and came across the Red Hots sock that I started back in February. I’d been knitting it for my friend Kim, but it caused me so much frustration (I wrote about it in Day 92’s blog entry) that I set it aside and knit a new pair for Kim instead.
At the time that I had stopped knitting the sock, it was too long and I needed to rip it back a few rows. I guess I needed a few months to put some emotional distance between me and that sock. Today I decided that it was time to get back to it and finish what I started.
To refresh your memory, here is what it looked like:
To make the process easier, I threaded my circular needle through the stitches where I wanted to shorten the sock.
Then I started unraveling until I reached the cable. Simple!
Of course, I had to rearrange some of the stitches so that they were all facing the right way, but it wasn’t a major hassle. I knit a row on each side, and now it looks like I’m ready to start knitting the gusset.
I’ve decided to knit these socks for me. This particular sock has caused me enough grief that I am determined to tackle it and finish it, and I am going to wear it proudly as a trophy, damn it.
Even though summer is right around the corner, and then it’s pretty much open-toe sandal season.