Wow, my last post was in August of last year. Re-reading that entry, I could see I was kind of depressed back then. A lot has happened since I wrote that post. In October we started a major remodel on our house, which included (among other things) knocking out an upstairs wall, updating the kitchen, converting our basement into a spare room/office, pulling up the old carpet, installing new floors, painting the interior, tearing down the backyard deck and stairs, and building a new one. This remodel involved me having to pack up a bunch of stuff (like we were moving) and living in essentially a construction site. We finally said goodbye to the crew in March and got settled in by mid-April.
I posted a lot of photos on Facebook and Instagram. You can find me on Instagram under my blog name (365dayshandmade). Add me and say hi! (I should also mention that I block any follower who looks like a shop just trying to get my business, so please make sure to let me know it’s you.)
I started knitting socks again a couple weeks ago, and thought I’d share this story. Friday night I pulled these old socks out of the washing machine and noticed one had a snag in the cuff and had started to unravel. I thought, NBD, I’ll just frog a couple rows and knit it back up. Turned out that I originally knit that sock from the cuff down, meaning I had to unravel the WHOLE sock and start over. I wasn’t going to throw it out. So I unraveled the entire sock and knit it into a new one, but from the toe up this time. I put in a short row heel (the fish lips kiss heel pattern). Sean asked me if I planned to re-do the other sock and I think probably not. It’s kind of neat to see the difference between my sock knitting in 2004 (cuff down, flap heel, using DPNs) vs. the present (toe up, short row heel, using one long needle with Magic Loop method). The re-done sock (on the right) is looking a little crunchy because I didn’t bother to wash and straighten the frogged yarn before I started knitting.
Hope you’re enjoying a happy Sunday!