For the backing of my current quilt project, all I had to do was go to the fabric stash. I found three yards of a green cotton with a pretty repeating floral motif. I had to do some measuring, cutting, and sewing to make the backing wide enough for the quilt top. Then I taped the completed sheet of fabric backing to the carpet and proceeded with spraying quilt basting spray and sandwiching the layers of quilt backing, the batting, and the quilt top.
For the binding, I purchased half a yard of an orange cotton print from my local independent fabric shop. After slicing the orange fabric into strips, I went through the process of folding, pressing, and sewing them together to make one long strip of binding.
Next I machine-quilted the fabric and batting sandwich. I didn’t do anything fancy– just sewed straight lines. The last thing I did before calling it a day was sew the binding to all four edges, leaving a gap where the two ends will have to be connected.