It took a few hours, but I finished hand-sewing the binding to the quilt.
I thought you would enjoy seeing what the back of the quilt looks like.
Stay tuned– I’ll post more photos of the full quilt tomorrow!
For the backing of my current quilt project, all I had to do was go to the fabric stash. I found three yards of a green cotton with a pretty repeating floral motif. I had to do some measuring, cutting, and sewing to make the backing wide enough for the quilt top. Then I taped the completed sheet of fabric backing to the carpet and proceeded with spraying quilt basting spray and sandwiching the layers of quilt backing, the batting, and the quilt top.
For the binding, I purchased half a yard of an orange cotton print from my local independent fabric shop. After slicing the orange fabric into strips, I went through the process of folding, pressing, and sewing them together to make one long strip of binding.
Next I machine-quilted the fabric and batting sandwich. I didn’t do anything fancy– just sewed straight lines. The last thing I did before calling it a day was sew the binding to all four edges, leaving a gap where the two ends will have to be connected.
As you know from my last few posts, my mom has been visiting from out of town, and I’ve been putting together for her a project that she started back in 1987.
I bought a yard and a half of the yellow cotton. I was able to cut enough rectangular strips, but then I didn’t have quite enough for the squares. The bummer is that I would have had exactly enough fabric if only I’d been a lot more careful with my measuring before slicing away with the rotary cutter.
Luckily, I had remnants from another yellow cotton print and was able to use that fabric to fill in for the squares.
I sewed each horizontal row into a long strip and then sewed the strips to each other. I tried my best to match up the corners. (When my mom started this project 28 years ago, she used scissors and not a rotary cutter to cut each blue square, so they weren’t all exactly the same size.)
I finished sewing together the strips and– Ta-da! Completed quilt top.
Sean’s birthday is next week. When I asked him what he wanted for a gift, he said, “Can you make me a laptop sleeve?”
So that’s what I did today, pretty much all day.
First I found what appeared to be a fairly simple laptop sleeve pattern through Google. Next I measured Sean’s laptop, did some math, and cut the pieces that I needed. Then I started sewing. Everything seemed to be coming along all right, until I got to the part where I needed to sew the lining into the sleeve. Then it became a frustrating cycle of sewing by guessing, inevitably messing up, subsequently ripping out the seams, and then trying again only to have the same results.
There was even a dark portion of the afternoon there, when Sean recognized that I was quite frankly pissed off with him and the world, and he said, “Today’s blog entry: I hate my husband.”
Finally, after a couple of temper tantrums that involved screaming as loud as I could, flopping on the couch and sulking, I got up, discarded the instructions, and figured out my own way of putting the whole damn thing together.
Now that it’s finished, I’m actually a little pleased with the final product.
And there is a part of me that’s thinking, Hmm. Maybe I could make another one.
I knit a lot today. I worked on finishing this second sock, and I added several more rows to this sweater. The problem with knitting, though, is that it takes a lot longer to finish a knitted project than it does a crocheted project. It took me about two weeks to crochet, join, and finish this afghan, but I’ve lost count of the number of hours I’ve already put into knitting the aforementioned socks and sweater.
Anyway, rather than show you photos of my two current WIPs with one of them looking like no progress was made, I am sharing a photo of my first quilt instead. This is the patchwork quilt that I made in my Beginners Quilting class back in September and wrote about in this post. And that is our deck that needs painting and where you can see this view. Today was a really beautiful day with a clear blue sky and a flat, glassy ocean. If you’re ever in town, let me know and we can visit on the deck and enjoy the view. We’ll talk, knit, or crochet. I’ll pour you a glass of iced tea.
I don’t have any photos of a handmade project today, because by the time I remembered to take a picture, the sun was setting. So instead I am sharing a photo that I took earlier this week, on Monday, my regular day off. You can click the image to enlarge, and you can see a few things that I’ve written about already. There’s the fish hat that I knitted, and the jars of iced tea instead of soda, and my first quilted placemat, and the people’s favorite, the Mexican wrestling masks placemat. There’s a pile of fabric waiting to be made into something, maybe another patchwork block table runner. And of course, there’s Sean, who didn’t know I took this photo, because otherwise he would have made a goofy face at the camera. I like this photo because it captures a lot about the way we spend our time inside the house– relaxing, hanging out, engaged in leisure activity– and definitely not cleaning up.